SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

I have followed this thread with a lot of interest.

I have also somewhat "been there" and done (a bit of) what Brian is doing, cruised for a year and lived aboard for another year. On a boat identical to Brian's - a C400.

Now, while I think the C400 is a superb cruising boat for island hopping and a very comfortable live aboard - in a fully laden cruising state it sure ain't no rocket in light air.

For that reason I found myself motoring (as most other cruisers with too much crap on their boats do) a lot more than I would have liked to.

Brian, in winds below 10 kts, do you sail or motor most of the time?

I like sailing, so if I would do it again, I would lean more towards the performance cruisers that Paolo subscribes to. Sacrifice some comfort for performance.

One thing I know for sure, I would never lean towards the other end of the spectrum, an old design heavy displacement boat. Those chaps motored even more than meself ;-) - and slower too...

Now, to through a spanner in the works, next time around I think the solution for me and the best of both worlds might be a perfomance catamaran.

Fusion Kit Catamarans

Plenty of performance and excellent liveability.

Outbound, I like your boat very much, I have been on both the 46 and the 52. We had a 52 in our marina for awhile, I think it was hull #1. Beautiful ship but close to 1 mil kitted out...

Last edited by jorgenl; 04-26-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook