SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
Re: Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
"Cult" boats got that way because they were valued by enough people, that to say they are "overpriced" ignores the law of supply and demand.

I've never owned a CD, but I did have a catboat--another "cult" boat that held its value. The reason cult boats hold their value is because they offer something to their owners of value over a very long time. You might pay more than another boat of the same vintage, but you will likely get most of your money back when you sell it many years later. The CDs, as I understand them, are solid boats that retain their value better than many of their contemporaries.

Bottom line: CDs aren't overpriced if folks are wiling to pay the price. No one is forcing you to buy one.
Hey nice rant!

Do you know that I own and sail a CD330? As for supply and demand, I think the short supply of the CD25 (along with its inclusion in JV's book) may have something to do with its excessive price. In any event, I simply suggested that CD27's and 28's were significantly better values than the 25D. Not sure you said anything to the contrary, but since you quoted me . . ..

-M
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook