SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Wide shallow sterned boats with super lean bows are very badly balanced hulls, hard to control downwind in a rough sea. They have no directional stability. Even a slight narrowing of the stern and filling out the bow can make a huge improvement in directional stability.
Many racers are super deep draft, a huge burden for cruisers. They usualy have nothing in the way of adequate mooring bitts or bow rollers, and often have only dangerous, knee high, plastic coated "Lifelines". Most make a poor choice for cruising in.
What specific boat design do you have in mind with your comments?
The average racer/cruiser that I have looked at have around 6' draft; hardly "super deep". Most of them are equipped with mooring bits, bow rollers, and yes, even anchor lockers! Knee high lifelines? not on any boat I have ever sailed on, but then maybe I just have short legs! (How high do you want your lifelines anyway? Waist high? )

If you are talking about full-on race boats, then yes, they aren't a great choice as they often have very little down below; pipe berths, portapottie and a 1 burner stove if you are lucky.
Hull#101
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook