SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing Sexist?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013
Sparrow Girl

sparrow16 is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

[quote=jameswilson29;1021188]This has been repeatedly proven by science. If you doubt it, read this book, which summarizes the science behind these differences: "Taking Sex Differences Seriously" by Steven Rhoads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow16 View Post

As much as you do not want to believe it, hormones and chemicals determined by genetics can alter behavior.

You use a perfect example of the difference between the average woman and the average man: most men do not let others determine their destiny or career choices. They pursue what they want with determination, without seeking support or encouragement from the "village" - a classic difference between a hunter and a gatherer. Most men don't care whether others think their choices are "appropriate". That is why we speak our minds on the forums and most women are so concerned about offending others.

You will never get what you want out of life if you are passive and allow others to determine your destiny.

Take charge of your life, Christine, and stop waiting for the approval of others! You can do it!
Note: This post not so much for James' benefit, he seems convinced of his argument (LOL), but rather for all of the other women and men out there who do not think biology is the only factor that determines our fates:

James,

I'm not waiting for your approval, as I indicated before, I own my own sailboat and I have my Ph.D. in physics so I think I'm doing fine being my own woman.

I speak from experience and from talking with other women. There are differences in the sexes but the social pressures to which women are subjected along with the expectations made of them from them from the day they are born are also very real and cannot be dismissed as unimportant. This is the flaw in your argument; you attribute all the differences to biology (i.e. nature) and ignore nurture.

The combined effects of both nature and nurture applies to men too but the difference is that women are generally encouraged to not be as extroverted as men. These social pressures skew the behavior and expectations of both men and women. Attributing all differences to biology is sexist.

Now, perhaps if we were to remove the effect of the negative social pressures women (and men) have endured we might still find more men in sailing and owning a sailboat. I would contend that this difference would be less than it is now. Fortunately, things seem to be changing for the better with more women sailing. To say it is all to do with biology is wrong.

With that I'm finished with this.

Fair Winds to All (and James too! )

Christine
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook