SailNet Community - View Single Post - My last little bit of planning
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
If the wind is 20-25 knots, why would you need to leave? Can't a boat stay easily at anchor at that speed?
Easily?...no! but sometimes yes!

To add to Len's comment. What few and far between spots you will find are often questionable at best. However, there are some inlets that are OK. Very steep drop off's are the norm and one of the biggest issues. Quite often I will have a foot or two under rudder at low tide in order to get any scope out. Have a look at your charts if you haven't already. I will almost always if possible run out a stern tie or anchor to something on shore. The winds can shift dramatically and/or come up quickly driving right through the bay which can even blow you right out of there. I know of more than one friend that woke up in a different bay many miles away come morning. 20-25 knots with very little scope coupled with a low tide and rocks or beach directly behind you is a bit of an uncomfortable feeling and sometimes it's best to get out. Having said all that I have been quite successful staying off the rocks. The inlets are great to explore...just have a backup plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 04-27-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook