SailNet Community - View Single Post - My last little bit of planning
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: My last little bit of planning

Understood. I was just reading a cruising guide and I was reading the section on anchoring and the author thinks that a boat can stay at anchor up to 60 knot winds as long as there is no wave action, as I would not expect there to be in a small inlet.

I've just got to see these inlets. I guess if they are the beautiful ones in the pictures where the mountains just jack up all around, then the sea floor is equally steep.

That's the main thing I always tell anyone when I am describing Vancouver. I say it's a blend of Seattle and San Francisco surrounded by these crazy dark mountains that just explode into the sky.

I've got a heavy anchor, 1-2 sizes higher than the book recommends. It has tables by the different anchor manufacturers recommending size by boat length and beam.

I've got the right chain, and nylon line. Book said line(rode) should not be to big or it won't stretch properly under load, so I didn't oversize my chain or line. Shackle is a beefy Wichard captive pin U shackle. KONG swivel, bow roller, cleat with good backing plate. I'll just have to properly set that thing.

What kind of line would I get for a stern line? Do I have to break the bank? 350 feet can get pretty pricy for something I may not need. How about we compromise and I get 100 feet or the cheap kind, but I'll put a chafe protector(cut hose) where it contacts the tree?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook