SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Just curious, did you have a light-air sail inventory of free-flying sails, such as a spinnaker or Code 0?
John has made this point before, and it got me thinking....

How many people make the requisite design sacrifices in space, tankage, strength etc for a "fast boat" and then not only load it up with weight, but don't leverage the fact that the have a "potentially fast" design by having a clean/fast bottom, all the sail control hardware they need and a solid inventory of good sails?

What good is it to be making all the sacrifices you have to make to have the boat with the awesome PHRF rating and then only have a 135% on a furler and a furling main as well and don't keep their bottom clean? What about that folding or 2 blade prop? Some people put a big 3blade wheel on their "fast design" too.

I'd bed that a "slow design" that was all tricked out with vangs, high-purchase traveler, cunningham etc and has a couple jibs, a battened main and an A-sail and Code-0 would sail circles around the "fast design" that is poorly outfitted.

You can't buy fast, you gotta make it fast too!

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook