SailNet Community - View Single Post - Teak Deck Replacement with Nonskid
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013
Commodore

n8kraft is on a distinguished road
Re: Teak Deck Replacement with Nonskid

Yesterday my wife and I removed more deck hardware and teak. Now we have both sides of the cockpit cleared. Today we're having friends come over and they'll help remove the teak from the seats in the cockpit. Here's my first big challenge. With the teak removed there will be a lip and I'll need to decide if I'll remove that edge and fair it, or fill the space previously occupied by the teak.

Here are a few pictures from yesterday's hard work.

THe holes are all drilled out, vacuumed and filled. Some of the screw holes just kept sucking the epoxy. It's not dripping inside the cabin so there must have been a gap in the hull between the gel coat and the fiberglass, especially on the starboard side outboard.

The starboard side prepped. To remove the old sealant I used a paint scraper attachment with my drill to expedite the process.

Durabak nonskid coating samples. Top to bottom the colors are Tan, Creme and Sand. We're planning on using Sand because it compliments the wood trim the best. The nonskid is UV protected polyurethane so I can use the same primer that I'll use for the edges
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook