SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Ahh, Med,,, I'm not sure you understood my post or perhaps I said it poorly. The fast boat will most certainly win. That's why they call it the "fast" boat.

Of course a poorly maintained and equipped boat will suffer in the performance department wherther it's a heavy boat or a light boat. No news there as yoiu say. The most succesful racers spend a lot of time maing sure everything on the boat is at it's max performance level. You can't win a tacking duel with a frozen primary winch. No news there either.

But you are correct, there is no way to objectively measure the "comfort at anchor" factor. And that may involve much more than just volume. I look at some modern "crossover" type boats with very light and sparse interiors. Is that what I want when cruising? Well, I think it would do the job alright but I'm not sure it would satisfy that part of me that drew me to yachting originally. I kind of like the dark, woody interiors. Kind of hard to measure that feel but it's real.

Sometimes in the harbor after being anchored a few hours I see an old boat come in. It's just about dusk and I know this guy has been sailing all day, slowly tacking back and forth ignorrant of tidal currents and back eddies and just beating up the sound the best he can with his blown out sails and funcky bottom.

The guy gets one of the last good anchorage spots in the harbor, drops his hook and begings tidying up his boat as the sun sets. Sometimes I'm jealous of that guy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook