SailNet Community - View Single Post - Young cruisers
Thread: Young cruisers
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013

DubeJ is on a distinguished road
Young cruisers

Hey all,

Ok, so as a younger guy (33), I have been sailing for some time now, usually CA coastal, MS coastal and FL coastal for the last 20 years. I guess I have been pretty lucky in my life to have grown up around boats.

Anyway, to the point of this post:

I've been watching YouTube, and researching on here and other sailing posts and have a serious question. WTF do people in their 30s and 40s do that allows them to do things like circumnavigate and cross oceans? I mean I would like too as well, but I am not a trust fund baby, nor do I own apple stocks. I have a regular job (2 actually), and have a family that financially depends on me. WTF are people doing in youtube videos sailing 6 months around the pacific and everywhere else???

To no offense, it makes sense that older and retired people have the time and financial ability as they have "paid their dues" and kids are up and gone, but what about the young folks?

If you are in your 30s or 40s and live the cruising life, voyaging across oceans and stuff, please let me know what I am doing wrong! I have a great job (construction management and military reserve), with very good income, no debt, don't own too many expensive things that require I stick around....what am I not doing??

Maybe this was more a venting than a real question. Either way, spill the secrets and I will buy you some rum. Hahaha, if you are 21 of course. If you aren't 21 and you own a boat and sail around the world, I hate you...just kidding, i am just very jealous, and if we don't meet in Mexico or international waters, I cannot give you rum....

Keepin keepin on

Dube
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook