SailNet Community - View Single Post - What are these things?
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 04-27-2013 Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Re: What are these things?

Originally Posted by ReefMagnet View Post
I'm only guessing, but sometimes previous owners leave the old transducers in place when they replace old and failed instruments as an easy option. The transducer is simply to provide either depth or speed information to an instrument (sometimes both combined) so has nothing to do with the bilge. If you look at the spot from outside the hull, you should see the other side of the transducer protruding through which will be either flat (for depth) or a paddle wheel (for speed).
Do you mean if she was out of the water? (sorry if dumb question, as I say am newbie to sailing)

Originally Posted by ReefMagnet View Post
Most instruments using through hull transducers also supply blanking plugs so the transducer can be removed for servicing. If you search around on your boat, you might find the blanking plug for it if you are lucky.
I have something that looks like this but without the wire, so I bet that must be what you're talking about.

I am getting a small amount of water that occasionally comes up around the transducer, ReefMagnet, and since the transducer appears to be very nearly in line over where the bilge would be, I'd assumed it was happening as a result of a blockage in the bilge channel. But do you think it could be somehow seeping up from the transducer wire, and not the bilge?
OleSwole is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome