SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Politics and Moderation

17K views 161 replies 61 participants last post by  tdw 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I am speaking on behalf of all the moderators here.

We have really tried to keep Sailnet an open and friendly place to discuss sailing related things. We have also tried to maintain a separate Off Topic forum where members can go to discuss things that are not sailing related or may be too political for the mainstream sailing board. In general, we do not want to play the role of censors and allow as much 'free speech' as possible.

However, if or when the politics begin to seep into the mainstream forum, we have to make some judgment calls. Our decisions do not come easy and are generally debated (or overly debated!!) before we act. We want to be seen as fair and moderate to all the members, and this can at times be difficult as we may have strong opinions on the matters and we know the members have strong opinions. Complicating this is that some discussions which are sailing related are inherently political in nature and bring out strong reactions from those with opposing views.

So we would like to ask all the members to be understanding if we request you to modify your postings or signatures. It is difficult for us to ask this because it is important that everyone sees us as never taking sides, either way. But it is even more important that everyone sees us as trying to keep the board as friendly and inviting as possible to the majority population. If we do reach out and ask you to tone it down or change your signature, please understand we do it reluctantly and out of necessity for all those who participate here. Another favor: If your signature could be interpreted as political in nature, please consider removing it so we don't have to ask or you don't offend others.

We're all friends here.

Brian and the Mod Squad

See less See more
#2 ·
One more point for consideration here:

As I said, we are all friends. We need to make sure in our replies that we are thoughtful about how those comments are going to be received. You cannot inflect tone in an email, so it is important to really read through what you are about to submit before submitting it.

In essence, be respectful and thoughtful to your fellow SN'er.

Thanks.

Brian

#3 ·
I think that some people forget that when they go outside of off topic, their signature goes with them.

#8 ·
Civility is very important and the mods have done a good job of maintaining it in the regular threads and I support this direction, even though I abhor censorship.

Discussions amongst people who have differing viewpoints are bound to occur and sometime become heated, but that can be ok as long as it isn't personal and there is no mob rule mentality to the decenters

I agree with continuing the OTH/ POL/ REL threads and I will state again by having a duplicitous way of enforcing civility allows for the aberrant behavior to occasionally leak to regular threads.

If the regular threads are to remain sterile of religion or politics then that should include avatars/ signatures/ sayings etc. This must be enforced without prejudice and favoritism across the board for it to be fair.

Reactions: Seaduction
#20 ·
One thing about politics/off topic/gun threads is it makes this forum very USA centric.
That's fine if that's what the Mods want. But if you wish to become more international IMHO the politics tend to restrict it.

Mark
I agree. I think the mods should establish a requirement that all political discourse on SN be restricted ONLY to Taiwanese politics.

Those folks know how to throw down:

#19 ·
I support your efforts at walking the fine line of expression and moderation. St. Augustine said:
In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.

Thank you for giving us this great forum to enjoy our passion. Hopefully we can self regulate ourselves so that others don't have to.

#21 ·
Folks around here become excitable enough discussing anchors.

Posted in a gun thread once that was enough. How y'all wanna run that country of yours over there is up to you to figure out, i'm here for the sailing. Just keep Disneyland open, and your dollar down until I have ordered my new chartplotter from West Marine.

#23 ·
It's great that there's a place that the poor folks that use tillers, and haven't learned that the Rocna anchor has the best holding of any out there and have not moved up to the pure pleasure of a roller furling main, refrigeration, air conditioning, radar and AIS on a fast and comfortable modern production boat rated for global circumnavigation and the paper charts have been replaced with electronics can feel comfortable posting.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Yah, I think I'm pretty funny, image what happens when you feed me beers!

#25 ·
I appreciate the light touch moderators use here on SN (moderation in moderation). It's easy to avoid "fight club" threads (politics, guns, anchors, etc.), and objectionable people can always be put on your ignore list. That said, when people cross the line into outright personal attacks, or when they start spouting truly extreme positions, then mods do need to step in.

I take part in CF as well, and while I appreciate that forum, I think their approach is a bit too heavy-handed at times. I think SN has, in general, found a better balance -- so thanks.

#29 ·
Now just wait a damn minute Brian.

Are you suggesting sailors can be opinionated?

:laugher :laugher :laugher :laugher :laugher :laugher

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.