SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tying stern-to to shore
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
Re: Tying stern-to to shore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
There are many anchorages in my area where tying off to shore is beneficial. So far I have avoided doing this.
This summer I plan on heading to an area where space is limited and many anchorages recommend tying stern-to.
Any hints on how to do it so I don't look like a complete moron?
What length line(s) would you recommend to carry for this?
Thanks.
My years of boating along the British Columbia coast were marvellous training for our cruise through Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego. By the time we left, we were well-practiced with stern ties. The difference south is that the tying is sometimes done in winds gusting from 0 to 90 knots, while veering or backing through 90ŗ or more. Practice locally before you go.

In Sequitur we had three stern lines, two of them 100 metre poly and one 80 metre nylon webbing. In the bow we had two poly lines of 80 metres each. We never used all five at once, two being the most common and on a few occasions, as in this photo in Caleta Brecknock, four lines were used. This was mainly to tuck close-in, seeking a bit of protection from the williwaws.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook