SailNet Community - View Single Post - east coast icw
Thread: east coast icw
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013

sailor wench is on a distinguished road
Re: east coast icw

Also, you may want to look @ the other route available to you on the map and see if it is shorter. You can go South, thru the keys, and up the West Coast of Florida. I've actually taken this route myself. I was in Miami and decided, for me, it was best to take this route because of the height of my mast. If you are too tall, you can't fit under the one bridge on the OWW and the people at the bridge have a method of attaching weight to the top of your mast and leaning your boat over enough so that you can get under the bridge. There is a charge for this, of course, and I think it is around $100 or more. I didn't want my boat subjected to their method, so I went thru the keys, to Marathon, via the 7 mile bridge, and up the West Coast of Florida. There is one place (Cape Romono, I think) where you have to be many miles off shore to clear the shoals (around 10, I think) but I went thru the area with 20 knot winds and didn't have a problem. Other than that area, you can stay pretty close to shore all the way to Ft. Myers. I haven't traveled any farther North than that on the West Coast of Florida, sorry, but I'm sure someone else here can advise you on that part of the trip. Hope some of this helps you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook