SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I've got a Cobra VHF I paid $60 for. If nothing else, its good to use to send the wife up to the front of the boat to listen and see if the main VHF is working.
Don't know what part of the world you are posting from but the automated radio check on Channel 27, sponsored by Sea Tow, is FAR superior to your method. See http://www.seatow.com/boating-safety...d-radio-checks

Where I am (Upper Chessie), they have at least two stations (Annapolis and Great Oaks Landing) that my 20 year old basic VHF reaches.

OK, OK, I admit it is a stretch to call this a 'project' but it is definitely 'low bucks' (free!). I hope pointing out this service out helps someone. If nothing else, it might reduce the stupid radio checks on Ch16 followed by the inevitable admonishments by USCG.

[Note added in proof: Sorry, I have no idea why sailnet mangles the URL. It looks fine when I submit it and I tried to fix it but SN does its mangling. Just google it...]

Last edited by MastUndSchotbruch; 04-28-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: sailnet mangling URL
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook