SailNet Community - View Single Post - getting a Tartan 34C ready for offshore trip
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013

tominny is on a distinguished road
getting a Tartan 34C ready for offshore trip

There are several reason why I'd prefer to do it solo. Preparation and execution is between me and the boat. Looking for another crew member adds a whole new complexity to it, including logistical, interpersonal and psychological. I've been on a two-handed trip where these three clashed and in retrospect it would have been more harmonious to have done it solo.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hermit or particularly antisocial. Both solo and with crew has its own set of challenges and right now the challenges of a solo trip seem more attractive. Having said that I am doing the Around Long Island Race with a friend who would be a good candidate for crew. We'll see how it goes.

I've read a ton of books and reports about preparing a boat for offshore voyaging. After a while it repeats. With this post I am particularly hoping to get feedback on the vessel and her offshore seaworthiness, and hopefully some boat-specific ideas about refitting. I am planning to post this question to the T34C association at a later point.
So, does anybody have experience with a Tartan 34C or any thoughts on their weaknesses/strengths?

Thanks!

Tartan 34C
New York City
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook