SailNet Community - View Single Post - Forces on a dockline while docking....
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: Forces on a dockline while docking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
As for your neighbor: Suppose you missed his line handoff...or worse got your finger caught against the cleat. what does he do when you're not there?
That is the most frightening bit. For example...

Some marinas send line handlers that can manage any botched approach. I can think of one marina that has a nasty current across the docks that must really train the hands.

Some marinas send line handlers that you are better not using at all. I've had line handlers let lines run that I clearly and specifically asked that they simply secure so that I could power against them. No trouble, but confusing until I realize the problem.

I can't see trusting unknown help. In the PO's example, they may simply not understand that your intention is to apply 2-tons of force in a few seconds and try to hand-hold, believing that is better.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook