SailNet Community - View Single Post - Forces on a dockline while docking....
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Re: Forces on a dockline while docking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
The coolest bit of sailboat seamanship that I was ever witness to was when my next door slip neighbors in Seattle came into their slip with their Moody (45?) ketch with a solid 40kt tailwind.

They came roaring in at full throttle and one crewmember handed me a dockline with an eye in the end and asked me politely (but with some urgency) to please place the eye on the aftmost dock cleat. I complied.
Re: Full Throttle....My inclination in having to make such a landing would be full throttle in reverse on approach to try to check/minimize the forward speed. I suspect the neighbor was doing that and only shifted to forward after the line was secured to hold the boat to the pier.

Re: 40 kt. tailwind....what would have happened if someone fumbled the line....how many seconds to get it right on first try, then how many, if any, to recover the line and try again in 40 kts.? After the fumble, what happens and how expensive? And with the high wind, any wave action to bang the boat against the pier? Was the landing absolutely necessary or were there other, less risky alternatives?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook