SailNet Community - View Single Post - Amuse me, sailing small boat offshore.
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: Amuse me, sailing small boat offshore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
A decent sized solar panel should keep a Raymarine ST2000 (more robust than the ST1000 for barely more money) running nicely all of the time. A windvane system is likely a lot easier to repair though, a nice feature if it breaks while you are on the water. Of course you could carry two Raymarine-style autopilots, they aren't very big.

They are quite simple. Normally they just follow a compass direction and will steer to keep you on that direction. If you have wind instrumentation that can tell the autopilot computer the apparent wind angle then they will steer to a wind course, which is safer if there is a wind shift (better to go off course then to accidentally jibe).

Installing one (without the wind instrumentation) takes a couple of hours. You to install a pin on the tiller and a mounting point into the edge of the cockpit. Power is just 12V DC. The tiller plugs into power and bridges the tiller and cockpit edge. I hid the power plug in a cockpit coming box, where it is out of the weather. There are photos here:
Raymarine ST2000+ Installation - AlexAndChristine's Photos | SmugMug

Average power consumption is pretty low if you have the sails well trimmed and are just using it to hold a course.

alex
Well, I didn't know they took so low power. I tell you what, I will practice trimming the sails so the boat stays on course as good as possible without self steering, then I will get a solar panel, I need one anyways, and third I will get an autopilot, which I WANT anyways.

Luckily my Ranger had a Raymarine st1000 previously that the owner said broke, but was in the original craigslist ad as a negotiable item, so it already has the mount on the tiller, and above the starboard lazarette.

By wind instrumentation, can my windvane on the top of my mast be connected?

Thanks as always.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook