SailNet Community - View Single Post - Perkins 4108 Overheating
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Re: Perkins 4108 Overheating

What Chuckles said plus, Have you pulled the exhaust mixer elbow. It can over time coke up, when I did mine it was half blocked with what looked like a chunk of black coal. Also how is Your water trap, that may need a good clean out. Not having a a thermostat should make the engine run cooler. Other causes of overheating blocked or restricted exhaust and or blocked waterways check and flush both. faulty timing of valves and or injector pump will cause overheating. Start with the easy and hope you rectify it before the expensive stuff. Oh and a cracked head is also a cause. run your engine in gear at 2000 revs tied to you dock watch the exhast water it should be spraying out. then get down and watch the engine as it heats up, you may get to see where the steam is coming from. Before you do this just try running the engine at about 1000 revs with the coolant cap off, the coolant should just move as you have no thermostat If it bubbles or is blown out you have major head issues.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Last edited by SimonV; 04-29-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook