SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailrite LSZ-1

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Alex W 
#1 ·
Is $850 a reasonable price for one that hasn't been used much? It comes with monster balance wheel, LED light, thread stand and needle accessory package. I haven't seen it so can't say the exact condition it's in, the owner says it was only used a few times. It's located about 5 hours from me so I can't just drive down to check it out without being pretty sure I'll be purchasing it. Thanks in advance for opinions and advice.

#3 ·
Sailrite list the price on their web site at $899. With that you get 2 year warranty, 30 day back money guarantee -10% restocking fee, support and a new machine. Me thinks the used one is a tad high but then again I'm a sailor and think everything is high. Also if you watch their sales or boat show specials you can get a better price. Also ask for a discount from both the used machine seller and sailrite. They may just lower the price.

#4 ·
roger that, however the extras from sailrite cost about $230 so if I buy one at retail I'll be spending $1200, but I'll have the warranty. Judging from the reviews I've read these are solid machines and I feel like saving the money but losing the warranty isn't too bad of a deal.

#5 ·
Thats a *TON* of money for something that may not get a lot of use. Are you planning on becoming a semi-pro canvas repair guy? I'd seriously look into borrowing someones sewing machine if you're going for a few projects here and there!

#6 ·
NightOwl, I'm planning on fixing my sails and making a bimini, dodger, and a few other pieces, too. The savings from the cost of doing the work mysefl versus having someone else do it is enough to justify the LSZ-1. Of course, I'm frugal enough that I decided not to go that route, but that may be a mistake. Either way, having your own, good quality machine is very handy, rather than always having to borrow one.

#7 ·
Also you say the machine is 5 hours from you, That is 10 hours round trip. Lets say 45 miles an hour average, 450 miles total divide by 20 miles per gallon is 22.5 gallons of fuel at 3.25 per gallon is $73.13 for fuel and you got to eat, so maybe its a hundred dollars to go see this machine.

What are you going to sew with this machine?

#8 ·
Our machine paid for itself I 2 years easily.

Ne bimini, dodger, sail cover, cushions. Even just going over the sails every season instead or 300-600 sent to a sail loft will add up quickly.

Advantage of the Sailrite is it can be used if necessary manually and has a suitcase it packs up in so when cruising you can take it for emergency repairs.

#10 ·
The machine will be used to redo all of my upholstery, bimini, lazy jack, cockpit cushions, winch and helm covers. We'll be doing all this ourselves as my lady friend is quite handy with such things. Finding the right machine that's easy to stow on our modest boat for all of this work as well as work in the future is tough.

#11 ·
Also, I'm sure that shipping for a machine this size and weight is comparable to fuel burn in going to pick it up. Seems that I'm now talking myself into buying this one. I've been looking for a solid month now and this is about the best price I've come by with all of the accessaries included.

#13 ·
I just did new interior cushions for my boat using an old Sears all metal machine I picked up at a second hand charity store for $10.00. I've tested it sewing Pacific blue Sunbrella, does 4 layers just fine. Pretty sure one only needs zig zag doing sails.

Anybody have zig zag stitching on their bimini?

Reactions: jimgo and night0wl
#14 ·
I have an LZ-1, it's a great machine... I found a good deal on mine years ago, but based upon the current prices, I might be looking for a less expensive alternative if I were buying again today...

One you might check out is this Barracuda from Defender...

Reliable Barracuda Sewing Machine

I have never seen one of these myself, but at least to my eye from the pics provided, it appears to be virtually identical to the Sailrite in most respects... have no idea about the weight of the balance wheel in comparison, but it might be worth investigating, or asking on a sewing forum whether anyone has any experience with one of these...

#15 ·
I just bought an LSZ-1 from Sailrite ... I found a cheaper price for a new LSZ-1 on e-Bay and contacted Sailrite on their web chat to see if this was legit. They said if the e-bay one had the case and all the stuff that is included with the Sailrite machine, they would match the e-bay price ... AND THEY DID. Sailrite even matched the e-bay retailer's lower shipping!

I can't say enough good things about Sailrite's customer service. They are the BEST to deal with ... and this isn't the first time that they went "over and above" for transactions I have had with them.

#16 ·
FWIW, I had the opportunity to purchase a used Sailrite machine from a friend a couple of years ago. I had it in the Sailrite shop in Annapolis for cleaning/repair and mentioned that I was considering purchasing the machine. The service rep discouraged me from purchasing that particular older machine because of the upgrades that had been made to the new machines (better reliability, improved functionality, better access for servicing, etc). I ended up not buying a Sailrite, but the issue of reliability/functionality is worth considering.

The Sailrite I borrowed never got through a project without needed a trip to the shop (three trips over the year I had the machine) - I fully admit that it might have been user error, but I had screws work their way out of internal mechanisms and a monster wheel that was too sticky for me to operate. Again, it might just have been a lemon machine - the owner raved about it.

I now use a Necchi that seems to handle all the canvas work we need without too much trouble (StackPack, Dodger and Bimini repair, Winch covers, etc) and it was $350 new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.