SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast wiring
Thread: Mast wiring
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
Mast wiring

I bought a 1976 Helms 25 this past Labor Day and sailed it until November. The perfect boat for my shallow bay areas here in Delaware. Now that I have the mast down for the winter (Deck mounted mast, hollow and no interior rigging) I want to add a masthead nav Tri-color/anchor/strobe, spreader lights, masthead/foredeck light and antenna. I plan to run RG-8U coax for the antenna and will use Blue Sea's Cable Clams for the coax thru deck fitting and for the upper mast penetration. I figure the Cable Clam at the top of the mast will also act as a coax strain relief. I know about the trick of leaving cable tie tales on inside the mast to stop the wires from slapping around.
I was going to use Anchor's 5 conductor mast cable for the wiring, but can't find information on the physical wiring of the lights. At what point do I remove the cable cover to expose the individual conductors? Do I run the cable to the mast top and fasten to some type of interior strain relief (If so what kind of relief and how?) and then run the individual conductors back down the mast to each light? Or remove the cable cover at the first light (the spreader bar lights) and run individual wires to each light above that point? But then how do you strain relief the cable? Do you use rubber grommets for the individual wires going thru the mast to each light? I guess I need to know the standard and correct way this is done without re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks for your help!

Wayne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook