SailNet Community - View Single Post - getting a Tartan 34C ready for offshore trip
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Re: getting a Tartan 34C ready for offshore trip

A couple things I would consider that I haven't seen mentioned. The boat was not built to current standards and has a number of vulnerabilities that could lead to down flooding and sinking in case of a knockdown or getting pooped by a wave.

Both the cockpit lockers on the T34C are open to the main cabin and could lead to down flooding in an emergency. I would build and glass in bulkheads at the aft end of the quarter berth and around the starboard locker. Same thing goes for the ice hatch in the cockpit. It needs to be either removed (not the most practical), or sealed with the hatch reinforced and add a locking latch. I would be concerned about the bilge blower vent pipe for the same reason, but not sure what the best fix for that would be. The chain locker forward also needs to be sealed and a thru hull drain added.