SailNet Community - View Single Post - You are NOT "FISHING"
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: You are NOT "FISHING"

The rules or the road are clear; he was not fishing in the sense of having rights.

That said, when manuvering is not in tight areas (channels and harbors) and the 2 boats involved are both recreational, doesn't it come down to politness? Who could manuver more easily? I don't know the wind conditions. I do sail and I do ocationally fish with trolling gear and outboard planer boards. I have also raced sailboats.

Yes, the fisherman can turn, but the turning radius to avoid tangling lines is often very long, perhaps several hundred yards, and even then there is some risk. A tangle can take 10 minutes or more to unwind. It is generally FAR easier for you to avoid the fisherman. And it is not power-vs-sail thing; listen on the VHF and you will hear them give each other grief.

Some sailors feel the fact that they are "racing" makes a difference, that it makes them important. It doesn't. Though politness dictates that I avoid racing fleets, remember that racing is a choise you have made, no more important than the decision the powerboater made to go fishing. We are simply enjoying a day's recreation.

Some powerboaters (most?) have no understanding of what sailboats can and cannot do; that if you are closehauled you can bear off but not head higher, and that with a chute up that angles are even more constrained without the inconvinience of tack or jibe. Last week I was trolling under sail weaving and avoiding fisherman. I was always surprised at how ALL had no idea that I could dodge one way easily but not the other. At the same time most sailors have no understanding of fishing gear.

It's not hard to see at a great distance if a boat is trolling or kite fishing. They alter course very little and are easy to avoid.

----

Perhaps now you will understand what they see. When they see you steer away you may even get a polite wave!

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 04-29-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook