SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Keel is chipping

839 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Atraitees 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,
We have just moved back aboard our 38 DownEaster after a two year break. Turns out that the dude who was supposed to do the bottom did not do the very bottom of the keel... ever!
Anyway, as I was doing the bottom today I came across two spots that chipped off. They are about the size of silver dollars. Again, this is at the very bottom of the keel. They are about as thick as an average butter knife. Not the really thick, 7 coats of paint, kind of thick that I was expecting.
My question:
Is there a way to temporarily fix it while it is in the water? I can not pull her out until September.
If not, what kind of damage could it do?

Thanks

#6 ·
I went back under to finish the job today. I could see a little better. Yes, it looks like extra build up on the keel. It didn't have paint on it, so... my best guess is that it wasn't done during the build but some time after. Either way, it needs tending to.

The 700 looks really awesome. I think I'm going to use it for a temp fix. If nothing else, I have many other things I could use it on.

Either way she's not going to sink from it. I have confidence in that now...

Thanks so much for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.