SailNet Community - View Single Post - You are NOT "FISHING"
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: You are NOT "FISHING"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
TTC, I don't think a powerboater with the outriggers out and a few lines would be seen as having restricted maneuverability. PDQ said that a change in course can result in tangled lines that may take 10 minutes to clear, but that doesn't make him any less maneuverable. Contrast that to a fishing vessel towing 4-500' (or more) of netting with thousands of pounds of fish inside the net, let alone aboard the vessel. That set-up has restricted maneuverability.
True, as I stated he was definatly not fishing. The rules are about safety, and a few tangles have no bearing on that.

Based on the OP's description, yup he was a jerk; while I would try to avoid, I can't if I'm becalmed (something he could have seen many minutes before) and I wouldn't worry about it.

Racers should expect to have to dodge now and then, and fishermen should expect a few tangles and a few lost rigs. That's the way it's always been for me, and I'm OK with it.

-------

FYI. One of my more memorable expereinces concerned a water skier that thought it was funny to cross my wake while fishing; he caught my rigs, pulled off all the line, and went on his way. I met him back at the ramp, hours later. He had been towed in after my steel leaders made a mess of his outdrive. Be warned cutting behind trollers!

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook