SailNet Community - View Single Post - Forces on a dockline while docking....
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: Forces on a dockline while docking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I would be sure to use as stretchy a line as possible to absorb the impact. I would think either plait or three strand. I don't think this is a good use of double braided. You might want to put in some sort of rubber snubber on it to help make it a bit more comfortable.
Yup, the piling might be the limiting factor!

Since the snuber is going to add ~ 4-6 inches of stretch and the line is going to stetch 4-6 feet on this catch, the rubber doesn't affect the math. Rather like folks that put a bungie cord in a handline trolling set-up; the bungie stretches 18 inches, while 150 feet of fishing line stretches 15-30 feet!

If the line were smaller, I might even suggest climbing rope. BTW, climbing ropes are thin braid cover with 10-14 layed inner strands carrying the load; they are not double braid. One more bit of trivia; the inner strands are typically 50% RH and 50% LH to prevent rotation.

I would be comfortable with any nylon line of the correct size; the differences are not that great and the faster handling of braid might be more important.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 04-29-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook