SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Jeff, probably because we work making other people dreams come true that gives us a bigger flexibility in what regards personal life style and taste. One of the most difficult and enjoyable works I have made was a big house for a German, a house near the shore and a golf course. He come to me with his wife and said that he wanted a "romantic house".

First I had to understand what was a romantic house for him and his wive, what were the images and the life style that comes to his mind related with a romantic house/life style. In the end I got the right picture and made to him and his wife what he wanted but could not imagine. Both loved the house and the funny thing is that they never understood that the style of his house had nothing to do with most of my work even less with my personal taste in what regards living and housing.

Related with taste and quality versus life style another example: for many years I read the German architectural magazine Hauser (that has great pictures) and used to comment what I liked more with my wife. I soon find out that while I was admiring quality, style and design, not having necessarily to do with what I would like to have for living, my wife was incapable to separate what was pure quality and a great design from what she would like to have for living, meaning that she could only like what suited her.

I believe this happens to many in what regards sailboats: Most can only like and appreciate what is fit for his lifestyle independently to be a great design. If it is not suited to him but only to other type of cruisers or sailors, then it is a bad design.

I don't know if the fact that being used to work satisfying other peoples dreams (that are very different) has to do with the fact that I like many types of boats, and among each type I can appreciate the ones that are truly outstanding, even if they not suit my living and sailing style, I suspect that it has.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-29-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook