SailNet Community - View Single Post - Forces on a dockline while docking....
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: Forces on a dockline while docking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I would be sure to use as stretchy a line as possible to absorb the impact. I would think either plait or three strand. I don't think this is a good use of double braided. You might want to put in some sort of rubber snubber on it to help make it a bit more comfortable.
A stretchy line will also store energy. If that cleat breaks loose from the dock, the more energy stored in the line the more will be transferred to the cleat, making it a several pound metal projectile. (google: Disneyland-boat-accident-death)

This whole maneuver is asking for trouble. If you miss the cleat, you crunch your boat. If you get the loop over the horns of the cleat, but don't get you fingers out of the way, you could easily lose a finger (or more). If the cleat parts ways with the dock, you have a projectile and a still moving boat.

Docking rule #1: never approach the dock faster than you're willing to hit it.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook