SailNet Community - View Single Post - Man overboard drill
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Man overboard drill

Depends on conditions. I think I would just tack and do a circle and come back to MOB and hove to just down wind. Then with my 1 knot or so upwind movement come on to the MOB with the person on my upwind side where I can turn away from them if needed, instead of coming onto them.

But I may need the boom in order to recover, so I might drop the main and roll in the jib and may use just the engine- again depends on conditions.

I read a lot of these MOB techniques and they are all well and good if you have a full crew and sailing some place like the Chesapeake bay in 10-15 knots of wind and 2 foot seas. But it is a nother story when you have a crew of two and loose one. Typical conditions for me is 25 knots of wind and 6 foot seas, so just keeping a visual on MOB is a huge problem, let alone trying to recover with my life sling.

I hope I never have to do a MOB, not sure if I could. I will surely do everything I can, but I hope the MOD is not unconsious and is a very good swimmer. Luckliy our water temp is 78 deg F, year round- if you got temps below 65 deg F, then you got huge problems. All the more reason to stay on the boat.

Last edited by casey1999; 04-29-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook