SailNet Community - View Single Post - You are NOT "FISHING"
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Re: You are NOT "FISHING"

As SOLARE pointed out, sometimes thems fisher type boats are thick as bees on our section of the Chesapeake!

This really boils down to the guy being a jerk. And while you can "assume" they have a planer board out, you can't really see those things too easily. SOME of the boats have a little vertical stick w/ a flag... some don't. NONE of the fishing boats, charter or private fly any day shapes.

For the record I try to stay away from them as well as the crabbers. The crabbers have a hard enough living but trying to figure out where they are going next is impossible; they're kinda like a bumblebee flitting from flower to flower!

And to finish this off, Sunday AM as we were coming up the Bay there was a tug pushing coming south. I hailed him on 13 to see if was going to the west channel or was going to turn east. He told me his intentions and suggested one whistle. While it meant turning off course a bit to take his stern and losing speed due to the wind angle, at that point it wasn't going to hurt us; we only lost a couple of minutes and he would have had a time trying to turn and avoid US.
I'm guessing the positive interactions outnumber the lousy ones by at least 30 or 40 to 1. Just too bad this yahoo (and his buddy a few minutes later felt the need to lob verbal bombs our way.