SailNet Community - View Single Post - Man overboard drill
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Re: Man overboard drill

I teach both drills to students, on an outboard-powered 24' sportboat. I mention power, but teach sail--in real time, the seas may be too lumpy to keep the outboard in the water.

Figure-8 is in the ASA book, Quick-stop isn't (I got the diagram from RORC site). Students are usually surprised at how far away "Oscar" is at the far point of a figure-8, compared to the quick-stop. But the risk is the jibe, usually done short-handed since you just "lost" crew overboard.

And how to get a 'real' Oscar back up over the rail is discussed, it's a good time to point out what a nice knot the bowline can be, especially when attached under Oscar's arms and hauled by the only 'crane' we have--a halyard led to a winch.

Once, on the way home from a windy choppy lesson in cool weather in which we had practiced lifejacket recovery, we saw and were hailed by one, then two more separated swimmers who'd bounced themselves off a jetski which then outdrifted them in the strong wind, wearing them out as they pursued. The empty jetski was the first thing we saw, then the first swimmer, who told us about the other 2.

We approached upwind under motor and sail (so neither figure 8 nor quick-stop necessary), sort of motor-tacking with reefed main (needed sail due to motor jumping out of the water), got them aboard over our low non-transom, and it was an excellent real-time experience for the students, who did great. Hard to have a better "lesson" than that one...

Right place, right time, just practiced it--what were the odds? Almost no one else out on the lake that day, and the lee shore (Slidell) was a good 12 miles away.

Last edited by nolatom; 04-30-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook