SailNet Community - View Single Post - You are NOT "FISHING"
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Re: You are NOT "FISHING"

We were on the 36.7 during the same race and also had a similar situation. No profanity (surprisingly enough) but the fishing boat was not to happy about the distance between a sailboat and his precious home made planers. They all seemed pissed that they had to drop their d!cks and turn the boat 10*. They certainly were not going to put down their beers or pick up a radio.

What I don't get is that we were at the starting area, had a committee boat drop anchor, set an inflatable marke, had a bunch of sailboats around in sequence and radio chatter with countdowns, and the fishing boats just trolling straight through the start line. Do they not understand that fishing 20 yds away will give them the same results? Fish can swim, you don't always need to drop the hook on their heads.

In my experience the guys fishing out there (on the bay) have no clue about the rules. They ALL think they have rights b/c they're fishing. Since their definition benefits them, there's no reason for them to educate themselves about the actual rules.

In the Ches Bay, almost all big boats (commecial) have ROW. Barges and tugs, tankers, and cargo ships. The bay ain't that deep, stay out of their way.