SailNet Community - View Single Post - You are NOT "FISHING"
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: You are NOT "FISHING"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post

In the Ches Bay, almost all big boats (commecial) have ROW. Barges and tugs, tankers, and cargo ships. The bay ain't that deep, stay out of their way.

A pedantic reminder, The is only reference to right of way in the US Inland Rules

Quote:
5. Who has the "right of way" on the water? The Navigation Rules convey a right-of-way only in one particular circumstance: to power-driven vessels proceeding downbound with a following current in narrow channels or fairways of the Great Lakes , Western Rivers, or other waters specified by regulation (Inland Rule 9(a)(ii)). Otherwise, power-driven vessels are to keep out of the way (Rule 18) and either give-way (Rule 16) or stand-on (Rule 17) to vessels not under command or restricted in their ability to maneuver, sailing vessels or vessels engaged in fishing, and, similarly vessels should avoid impeding the safe passage of a vessel constrained by her draft (Rule 18), navigating a narrow channel (Rule 9) or traffic separation scheme (Rule 10). The Rules do not grant privileges they impose responsibilities and require precaution under all conditions and circumstances; no Rule exonerates any vessel from the consequences of neglect (Rule 2). Neglect, among other things, could be not maintaining a proper look-out (Rule 5), use of improper speed (Rule 6), not taking the appropriate actions to determine and avoid collision (Rule 7 & 8) or completely ignoring your responsibilities under the Rules.
There is no references to right of way in the International Rules. All vessels have obligations.

I expect that the narrow channel rule (Rule 9) applies in Chesapeake Bay.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Last edited by jackdale; 04-30-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook