SailNet Community - View Single Post - Minimal Electronics reqirements and alternatives
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Minimal Electronics reqirements and alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
I can still sail and navigate with no engine and no electricity or batteries....

...Too many convenience sailors today are lost without their gizmos.

Traditional sailors are self-reliant and do not expect someone to save them when all the conveniences fail.
I think the key phrase is "self-reliant"... and that refers to ALL aspects of yachtsmanship. Know how to sail and navigate without the conveniences and systems, but also know how the conveniences and systems work.

I know, I know, many people don't have the time or the tools or the inclination or whatever the excuse is for not knowing the systems aboard. I have a sailing acquaintance who scoffs at my paint spattered topsiders and sweat and bottom paint stained ballcap, pointing out that he is a sailor, not a yard monkey- he pays people to keep his hands clean. A handful of us were discussing this one afternoon over beers, and another sailor with topsiders and cap more stained than mine quietly asked "Any luck getting a yard monkey to come out to the middle of Erie in the middle of a blow to keep your hands clean?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook