SailNet Community - View Single Post - You are NOT "FISHING"
View Single Post
post #44 of Old 04-30-2013 Thread Starter
sailordave

Re: You are NOT "FISHING"

The real problem is ignorance.
I think a lot of powerboaters just have the mindset of shove the throttle forward and go like hell! Not all, but just enough to give a bad impression. Sort of like bad cops; doesn't take but a few knuckleheads.

And not to stereotype boaters, but the reality is *MOST* sailors have a better knowledge of the rules as well as having better seamanship skills.

Personally I don't want to interfere w/ someone else's activity of choice on the water for
the simple reason that I don't always trust them or what they may do. And that depends on context. In a serious race w/ serious racers I KNOW that port tacker is going to either duck me (missing my stern by a foot or two if not inches) or tack or feels he's going to make it and probably will. And I know I can take action if need be. A less serious race I might stretch out the safety zone a bit but I still feel fairly confident everyone knows what the hell they're doing.

OTOH, just out daysailing around Annapolis on a weekend... uh, no, I don't trust that guy that's got poorly trimmed sails in a clunker of a boat and a wake that looks like a snake. I'll tack away from him almost every time regardless of my "rights". Cause it just isn't worth the hassle.

CS 36M DIANTHUS
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome