SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beneteau vs Hunter
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2002
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Beneteau vs Hunter

Denr,

Main advantage that I can see for the Hunter roll bar is a really neat place to put the stereo speakers. otherwise, I''d pass on it. No doubt Hunter keeps that sterile, ugly design because it has to be really cheap to build them that way with that way too ugly stern. (I call it a stern designed by McCullough........as in chainsaw.) My boat is on the hard right now next to a H-29.5, so I have to see it every time I go check on my Pearson. I feel like asking the marina owner to cover that Hunter stern with a blue tarp so as not to offend my sensibilities every time I go down there.

There used to be a Hunter Vision 32 at my marina, one of those with the unstayed aluminum mast. I literally sailed circles around it with my Pearson 27 no matter what the windspeed. It was real nice below of course, quite roomy for 32 feet. But couldn''t beat a jellyfish under sail.

About 3 years ago I tried real hard to like Hunters. I devoted several hours to going through them at the Annapolis show, only because there are so many of them on the water. I wanted to find out what I was missing. the interiors were all gorgeous of course, as long as you didn''t look behind anything. Tons of room and light (God forbid all those fixed ports start to leak.) The cockpits also roomy, big enough for a party of course. Deck layout OK, no big shakes, but OK. Then there are the 2 struts attached to the mast, along with the extemely sweptback stays because there is no backstay. gonna be a dog downwind since the main can''t go out but so far, and the boats have smallish jobs for the most part.

I''ll shut up now. Obviously I am not a Hunter fan, but they are nice boats for some people, including the gentleman who started this string to begin with. Or maybe I should say, it would be a good boat for his wife, and that IS important, too. Sailing a Hunter beats not sailing at all.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook