SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

$ Cruising ??

10K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  xort 
#1 ·
HI ! We are just beginning to contemplate this life style change of cruising. We are reading all over the place and have lessons starting in Spring. Can anybody give us an idea of monthly costs for a sailboat (paid) and cruising in Caribbean . We would be mooring on hook, probably for 9 months of year. My husband is somewhat handy in repairs, but we have no prior experience. Have $140,00 to work with purchasing craft - total ie updating etc. Thinking of craft with 35-40 ft range. I know there are costs for insurance and repairs, but we are having a hard time getting a handle on proposed costs ... etc. Another question, in that we are not old enough for Medicare, what does do for medical insurance ? US insurance companies, do they drop the ball, if you are out of States ? We are healthy BUT ... Any thoughts. I have seen some info on international insurance ?? Thank you so much.

#31 ·
Maintenance really is the elephant in the room isn't it ? Other than difference twixt marina, mooring or anchor, day to day living expenses can vary according to your budget. We could easily blow a few hundred a week eating out or spend bugger all if we are off the beaten track and eating fish and rice. Me I'm happy to do either and most ports in between but maintenance is lying alongside death and taxes as unavoidable. One's only means of minimising costs is determined by how much you are prepared to put in yourself.

#32 ·
Over the long term, "preventive maintenance" has been the best cost effective strategy in reducing the overall cost for me. Staying ahead of the curve is key, taking care of the "small' items before they develop into "big" problems.

I have a spending plan each year for general maintenance, replacements and improvements. After owning this boat for 18 years it has gotten to be pretty predictable, and there are far fewer surprises.

Reactions: tdw
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.