SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Bavaria 37

Some days ago I posted about the new Bavaria 37 and said that it looked like the hull of the 36 to me...and that's confirmed. The boat looks much better but they maintained the Farr hull that is a recent one with good performances. They say that Farr had modified and improved the keel and the rudder but regarding to that we have to wait to see what they are talking about.

Regarding the competition in what regards this segment and size, it will come from the old but good Oceanis 37 and from the jeanneau 379 that is in fact a 37ft. The Bavaria is the narrower hull (3.67 m against 3.76 on the Jeanneau and 3.92 on the Oceanis) and also the heavier (the Jeanneau is 300kg lighter and the Oceanis almost 500kg lighter). All boats have about the same draft: 1.90/1.95m.

I don't know if Farr is going to add a torpedo keel (like on the Hanse) but probably not since they give a ballast of 2080kg and that even with a bulbed keel similar to the ones that have the Jeanneau and Oceanis, is already a lot, giving it a better B/D then any of the other two by a good margin. 30% of B/D ratio considering the keel draft and type is already near what some mass production performance boats have.

The boat is the narrower of the three and he had seen that the genoa/jib traveller is over the cockpit so I bet this one will have a very good upwind performance for this type of boat. It will also be the only one to offer 4 winches on the cockpit. It will be also the one that will sail with more heel.

Regarding sail area the Bavaria has 66m2, the Jeanneau 70m2 and the Oceanis 67.8m2. Probably the jeanneau and the Oceanis will be faster with lighter wind but on more demanding conditions the Bavaria will equal or better the performance of the other two, specially upwind.

The big problem of the Bavaria 36, that is a good sailboat was the looks. It seems that is resolved with the 37. Regarding market we will have to see if buyers will prefer beamier boats to more narrow ones and how good will be the improvement on the interior.

The price, as usual, it is a very nice one: 109.361,00 € including German 19% VAT.

That is amazing. They offer the 37 at a close price of what costed me my Bavaria 36 back in 2002.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-30-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook