SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please tell me this is a nutty idea so I will stop looking at this boat.
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Please tell me this is a nutty idea so I will stop looking at this boat.

I can appreciate the "stretched budget" issue, so let's look at it from a slightly different perspective. If you buy the boat this year and can't fix it yourself, and can't afford to pay someone else to fix it this spring/summer, will you be able to in the fall/winter? Or will you be essentially in the same financial situation at that time?

This is a buyer's market, and another CD may come alone in the interim that will be somewhere between the cost of what you'll pay for this boat, and what you'll pay for this boat plus the engine repairs. Will you kick yourself if that boat, or another, equally attractive boat comes up? I mean, you could be out playing/learning to sail, but instead your boat will be sitting. On the plus side, if you do get the engine looked over by a qualified mechanic and you're OK with paying whatever he says it will cost to get it back up to snuff (or doing the work yourself to make those repairs), you'll have a 1980 CD with a known-good engine (or about as known-good as you can get), and that peace of mind may be worth it to you, even IF you have to wait a year to really begin to enjoy her.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook