SailNet Community - View Single Post - You are NOT "FISHING"
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: You are NOT "FISHING"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Paul

I did not notice any day shapes in the picture. The diamond shape in the "e" is a radar reflector.

Back to the rules. What was your understanding of the ColRegs with respect a "vessel engaged in fishing"?
Jack,

IIRC, it was many years ago, about the only "shapes" the local commercial fleet showed was a radar reflector, generally the star shaped sheet sheet metal type. Some of the big drag boats used to have a black drum looking thing in the rigging?

I took the US Power Squadron's navigational course and although the instructor explained all the details he basically said give way to any vessel that is restricted from changing course, be it draft or gear in the water. As mentioned earlier, there are many different gear configurations.

http://www.portofnewport.com/commerc...20trollers.pdf

We used a layout similar to the diagram, except we had 6 "fishing lines". Our "float bag" lines were about 100 or so feet back. The other lines were pretty much under the boat. Getting into a big sideways drift or turning sharply was very bad, to be avoided at all costs.

I have had a number of different types of power boats and a Coronado 25 sailboat. Generally speaking, I always consider any other boat somewhat bigger than me to have the right of way. And those restricted by draft or towing, always have it. Maybe not totally correct, but I am still alive.

Paul T

Last edited by dabnis; 04-30-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook