SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jackline system
Thread: Jackline system
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough
Re: Jackline system

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
OK guys, I have NO experience with clipping in, but I will be singlehanding this weekend so I've been studying up.

There is a real problem on the 27' and smaller boats with getting a tether that's long enough to have room to move around, yet that length allows you to dangle over the side. This is especially a problem on the foredeck where the boat gets narrower.

Some of us who have furlers also have an extra unused halyard from the masthead. What about clipping onto that halyard in addition to a traditional tether when on the foredeck? In the event of a fall, the halyard keeps you from dangling in the water, and the traditional tether keeps you from getting a "wild ride" off the side of the boat if the mast sways in rough water. It seems like the two in combination would be a good combination.

This was suggested to me by a guy on the Catalina 25 forum, who says he read about it in one of the Pardeys' books on cruising. It would seem to me that the halyard would allow you to use a longer tether on the bow.

What do you guys think?
unnecessary 'complexity'. KISS
learn to "3-point" yourself when going forward, etc. A '3-point' is to always have three of either feet or hands 'connected' or in firm contact with deck, etc. and only ONE hand/foot 'moving' or changing position at a time ... the other 3-points locking you in. Eg. If one hand is 'moving', the other hand is grasping and the two feet are securely in contact; or, if one foot is 'moving' both hands are 'grasping' and the other foot in solid contact.

Other points.
if you use only a 'climbers' harness, if you go overboard and get dragged along youll be dragged mostly 'foot first' or 'jackknifed' ... a climbers harness has it connection too 'low' on the body for 'boat work'. If you do 'invert' (dragged 'ass first') with a climber harness on the possibility exists that you can slip out of the harness. What you want is the harness connection to be 'high' on the body with the connection near the middle of your sternum .... then if you fall overboard and become dragged along, it will be 'head first'. Better, if the that 'high' or 'chest harness' has adequate 'crotch' straps.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook