SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jackline system
Thread: Jackline system
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Jackline system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel H. View Post
The neat little device you see in the pic that makes it all possible is from the mountaineering world and is called a "TIbloc" They work with a carabiner and any reasonable size line to lock the line at any point, (like a Jumar).
Yours is a clever use of a gadget like the Tiblock, but the whole arrangement still seems needlessly complex, to me...

After a fair bit of experimentation with an assortment of solutions, I've arrived at the conclusion that fixed tethers at the base of the mast, and another in the cockpit, are the way to go on boats under 30 feet or so... Configure a way to shorten the tether at chest height once you reach the mast, add another short tether on the foredeck if you think you really need it, but I think traditional jacklines on boats as small as yours are really not necessary, and not nearly as effective as fixed tethers... On boats of that size, where moving about the deck can be a bit tricky to begin with, I think jacklines might be more likely to trip you up, and contribute to the possibility of a fall, than they might be in keeping you aboard to begin with...

Sorry to say, but I think sometimes we're WAY over-thinking this whole jackline/tether deal... (grin, bigtime)

KISS...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook