SailNet Community - View Single Post - LED lights
Thread: LED lights
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: LED lights

I see a lot of people promoting super bright, but I don't think any of there lights are regulated. As long as you buy extras as they tend to burn out with power spikes and dips I think you should be OK. You might want to check out DealEXtreme as well, they will likely be cheaper, and you can get extras. They have great cheap flash lights as well. They take a while to delver though as they ship direct from China.

DealeXtreme - Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - DX Free Shipping Worldwide

If you want higher quality bulbs check these guys out as well. I think everything they sell is regulated so you should get longer life, and more consistent light output. They are more expensive but not as bad as the Sensi bulbs that I just could not justify, no matter how well they may work.

Marinebeam Replacement LED bulbs for your existing boat fixtures

I have been thinking about making my own regulation circuits, but seems it is really more effort than it is worth unless you are going to make large quantities. I am pretty good with a soldering gun, but I think my time might be worth the couple of dollars it would save me. Just make sure you choose warm, and in the kitchen you might want to make sure you get High Color Rendering bulbs (High CRI) as they will make the most natural colors, otherwise it can be hard to tell when things are done. Some LEDs make everything look the same color, so it is hard to tell brown toast (or muffins, pancakes etc) from burnt! Especially true for meats rare/medium/well done all look the same.

With the multi-color you can turn your boat into a disco!

Last edited by miatapaul; 04-30-2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: added a smartass coment
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook