SailNet Community - View Single Post - Would a world sailing TV show really make good TV
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road
Re: Would a world sailing TV show really make good TV

No.

It's just not exciting enough for the masses that are required to tune in to keep a show running and make a network happy. I could see it end up on a small small small network, like a fuel TV type of thing, but if it's a show that you have to see episodes in chronological succession in order for it to make sense (and this would be) then the viewers would be out of the loop if they miss an airing.

I think the clear winning formula - and it's unfortunate it probably still wouldn't work - is to throw a handful of dysfunctional d-list celebrities on a boat (provided by a luxury company with plugs throughout the show) to draw attention to themselves and stir up, basically make it a survivor / celebrity edition / road rules challenge / amazing race B.S. combination. Oh and spotlight foreign charity issues before every commercial break, use one of the crazy incapable celebrities as a spokes-person. Meanwhile Producers need to ****** problems, send them out in bad weather windows for drama, there'll be a "chase" ship (not boat) with catered food and directors and editors alongside all the time to catch footage that's better quality than go-pro's and self-shot handhelds.

Sorry, I'd like to see it work, because I spend hours reading blogs of the same content, but...

This idea just isn't sustainable.