SailNet Community - View Single Post - Production Boats and the Limits
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Production Boats and the Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
I think any time you try to make groupings like this you are in for trouble, there are just too many 'yes, buts' to end up with a useful list. To give just a couple:
- the last group are of course production boats. You can buy a Tayana 37 hull number in 3 digits and there have been dozens of various models of Hinckley, Oyster, etc.
- just because a boat is very expensive does not mean that it is a superior boat for blue water.
- some manufacturers have built boats that are very different, Beneteau, Morgan and C&C are good examples, because of this the placements make little sense. We have a friend who was a seasoned Mini-Transat sailor (race your 22 footer from France to Brazil kind of guy) and he chose a Bene Oceanus to go cruising with his wife and two small children. He would not classify it as a coastal boat and neither would I.
- most Hinckleys are gorgeous boats but they are not really designed primarily as passage makers. You could do better with a lot less money.

For what is worth, here are the models of boats that we have seen more than one of who were circumnavigating ( the memory is not perfect so I may have forgotten some - these are in order with most common first. Also i don't know all the European and Down Under models. The remarkable thing is how many different models there are.)
Amel - can't keep all the models around 52 feet straight, but altogether about 8
Beneteau 50 - 3
Vega 27 - 3
Gulfstar 50 - 2 for all the rest
Morgan OI 41
Tayana 37
Tayana 52
Bristol 45.5
Oyster 54/56
Discovery 55
Pearson 36
Moody 34/35
It would be fun to get a general list "close" though. I'll give it another go and we can argue some more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook