SailNet Community - View Single Post - LED lights
Thread: LED lights
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: LED lights

I don't see any mention of colour temperature which is a bit of a worry. Circa 3000k is as high as I want to go in any living space. Doesn't matter whether we are talking Incandescent (usually 2700) , halogen and fluorescent (for residential applications usually 3000) or LED.

When it comes to so called High Output LEDs a couple of things. Higher colour temperature lamps will appear brighter than lower, brightness however is not everything. It is also relatively common for LEDs to be run over voltage which does make then run brighter but as per MiataPauls post also reduces lamp life.

One other aspect of LED to be careful of is heat. While LED lamps do not put out a lot of heat the electronics can and do. Cramming them into very small unventilated spaces can and will reduce lamp life and could possibly be a fire hazard. I much prefer to have the strips enclosed in an extrusion, preferably with an opaque lens, cuts down on light output yes, but makes for a very comfortable light.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook