SailNet Community - View Single Post - British Columbia wilderness, sometime in next 3 years, any exp
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013

limpyweta is on a distinguished road
Re: British Columbia wilderness, sometime in next 3 years, any exp

Some other things about this, now updated with more details on the blog:

If someone is thinking of any variation of a route or destinations to take out or add to the trip itineraries, suggestions are appreciated.

Local water taxis can swap crew out in many places all over the island and by Queen Charlotte Strait.

At the very least, a quarter of such passage making time on the boat will involve waiting for conditions to allow getting to the next reliable anchorage. Like what's noted here, this may be very well over half the passage making time. This could be time to work on many sorts of things, especially if it's in a usual mobile or wifi network (not likely). Crew could collectively get a satellite phone off ebay or something and use that sometimes. It could then be sold if the batteries and mobile network will still be working and compatible with it, unlike a rental. I may get one myself, or some high-powered VHF system, whatever would enable myself, in a forested valley, to, by chance, talk to someone in an emergency.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook