SailNet Community - View Single Post - C&C 30 / Yanmar Repower, Engine Removal
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013

hangupndrive is on a distinguished road
C&C 30 / Yanmar Repower, Engine Removal

Hello-

I am getting ready to repower my 1988 C&C 30 MK II. I currenty have a Yanmar 2gm20F. It has low compression and is in the process of dying a slow death. I have concluded that it is not worth rebuilding. I will likely go with the 3ym20. it is only 1.7 inches longer and the same width. if the 1.7 inches is a deal breaker, I'll go with the 2ym15.

The R&R will take place in October/November as, in my opinion the current engine will be fine this summer. Of course, there are cost considerations as well.

I will be doing the job myself. My first consderation is physically removing the old engine and lifting the new one in to place.

The 2gm20f weighs about 250 lbs including the gear. I am considering slinging a block and tackle over the boom and hoisting it out of the companionway. that way I can swing the engine right on to the dock on to a dolly.

I have to think that this would work as my lifeslinig has a B/T that you attach to the boom to hoist an MOB out of the water. How much does an MOB weigh?

I have also sat on the boom without so much as a groan. I weigh 190.

I welcome any comments. I'd especially like to hear from anyone else who has replaced their engine. How did you remove it?

Thanks!
Doug, Seattle
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook