SailNet Community - View Single Post - MacGregor 36 – Help to find out if it is the right boat for me.
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: MacGregor 36 – Help to find out if it is the right boat for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breno1 View Post
Yes, I just moved to Thailand few months ago and that is a big "limiting" side of my search options...
Ahhhh, now things make more sense!

Quote:
I still think that a Cat would work better for me... besides personal taste and preferences, large flat deck space and shallow draft are my main concern, and I cant get that with a monohull.
You certainly won't get a flat space that is the equivalent of the trampoline on the cat, that's for sure. I think you can still find a shallow draft (there are centerboard models with 2.5-3' drafts with the board up, which puts you in the same range as the Mac) in a monohull. In the end, only you can make the decision as to what works best for you.

Quote:
I know it is not a easy task, specially because my small knowledge about boat and even smaller budget, but I figure I need to start somewhere, otherwise another 2 or 3 years will pass by and I will still be writing and asking questions trying to find the perfect boat for me.

So, this project is a priority for me now and I hope to be able to gather enough information to make it happen.
I can appreciate the sentiment, but be careful. I'd hate to see you throw $10-20K at a boat and have it be a real POS and an albatross that you can't get rid of. When I bought my first boat, I had negotiated a budget with my wife, and then had to be patient enough to find the right boat for our budget. That took about 9 months, and in that time I bet I was aboard at least 10-15 boats. That Mac may be the perfect boat, but it may not. Don't get your hopes up and try not to put on rose colored glasses on the first boat you get aboard (it's VERY hard to NOT to put the rose colored glasses on!!!). Might I suggest at least visiting some of the other mono's and cats that are out there? That will give you a better feel for what to look for in the Mac when you go to see her.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook